Men's Tennis Sees Season Come to an End
BRISTOL, R.I. – The Roger Williams University Men's Tennis team closed out the regular season Wednesday afternoon with a 7-2 win over Wentworth Institute of Technology.
The Hawks picked up two wins at doubles play and five at singles. Jonathan Chandler (East Falmouth, Mass.) and Taylor Webster (Bristol, Conn.) defeated Dave Filar (Wolcott, Conn.) and Dylan Melnik (Wake Forest, N.C.) 8-4 at #2 doubles, with Kyle Bull (Pleasantville, N.Y.) and Spencer Withington (Plymouth, Mass.) beating Andy Chen (New Taipei City, Taiwan) and Jia Lee (Weymouth, Mass.) 8-1 at #3.
At singles, Bull improved to 4-0 in the conference with a 6-1, 6-0 win over Matt Levine (Brockton, Mass.) at #6. Chandler won his fourth straight match with a 6-0, 6-2 win over Chen at #5, while Ryan Swanson (West Newbury, Mass.) won his 13th singles match of the year, defeating Nate Gove (Scarborough, Maine) 6-1, 6-3 at #2.
Juan Rodriguez (Quito, Ecuador) played a role in both of Wentworth's wins, with a 6-3, 6-2 victory over Jeff DeNunzio (Barrington, R.I.) at #1 singles and an 8-3 win at #1 doubles with teammate Gove.
Roger Williams (9-7, 7-1 CCC) claims the #2 seed for the upcoming Commonwealth Coast Conference Tournament and will host the winner of the Eastern Nazarene vs. Salve Regina quarterfinal. Wentworth ends the season with a record of 4-7, 2-6 CCC.
Roger Williams 7, Wentworth 2
1. Juan Rodriguez (WIT) def. Zack Bussiere (RWU) 6-3, 6-2
2. Ryan Swanson (RWU) def. Nate Gove (WIT) 6-1, 6-3
3. Jason Pacino (RWU) def. Dave Filar (WIT) 6-2, 6-3
4. Taylor Webster (RWU) def. Dylan Melnik (WIT) 6-1, 6-1
5. Jonathan Chandler (RWU) def. Andy Chen (WIT) 6-0, 6-2
6. Kyle Bull (RWU) def. Matt Levine (WIT) 6-1, 6-0
1. Nate Gove/Juan Rodriguez (WIT) def. Zack Bussiere/Jeff DeNunzio (RWU) 8-3
2. Jonathan Chandler/Taylor Webster (RWU) def. Dave Filar/Dylan Melnik (WIT) 8-4
3. Kyle Bull/Spencer Withington (RWU) def. Andy Chen/Jia Lee (WIT) 8-1
Wentworth 4-7, 2-6 CCC
Roger Williams 9-7, 7-1 CCC
(Release Courtesy of Roger Williams Sports Information)