BOSTON, Mass. – Junior Trey Carrier (Wilton, NH.) matched a career high with 26 points on 10-of-15 shooting while senior Stephen Azums (Hyde Park, Mass.) recorded a double-double with 19 points and 13 rebounds as the Wentworth Institute of Technology men's basketball team defeated Rivier, 79-62, in non-conference action Thursday night.
- After trailing early, Wentworth used an 8-0 run to take a 10-5 lead after a layup from junior Kyle Henseler (Coventry, R.I.). Rivier whittled away at the lead and outscored the Leopards by a 17-8 margin, taking a 22-18 lead on a Pharaoh Davis (Plainville, Mass.) layup with 7:37 left in in the first half.
- The Leopards used a 16-3 run and took a 34-25 lead on a freshman Tommy Dooling (Mansfield, Mass.) three with 3:19 left in the half. After Davis hit a jumper to cut the lead to seven, the Black & Gold outscored the Raiders, 9-2, over the final 2:35 of the first half to lead, 43-29, at the break.
- Wentworth shot 54.8 percent from the floor (17-for-31) in the opening stanza and connected on 6-of-7 free throws (85.7 percent).
- Raider senior Issaiah Chappell (Sunapee, N.H.) opened the second half with a layup to trim the lead to 12 before Carrier capped off an 8-3 spurt with a layup to push the lead to 19 with 17:00 left. The Leopards led by as many as 23 in the second half, including when Carrier made a layup with 2:27 left.
- In addition to Carrier and Azums, Henseler also scored in double figures as he tallied 12 points, grabbed five rebounds, and dished out five assists.
- Davis led Rivier with 12 points, five rebounds, and four assists, while freshman Nikolas Pignone (Stoneham, Mass.) added 10 points.
- Wentworth had a 43-26 rebounding advantage and scored 40 of its 79 points in the paint.
- Tonight marked the second meeting all-time between the two programs with Wentworth now holding a 2-0 series lead.
- Wentworth opens Commonwealth Coast Conference play on Saturday afternoon with a 2:00 p.m. contest against the University of New England.
For the latest on Wentworth Athletics, follow the Leopards via social media on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Fans can also download the Wentworth Leopards "Front Row" mobile app, powered by PrestoSports, on iTunes and the Android Market.