NEW LONDON, Conn. – Sophomore Kevin Fernandez (Lawrence, Mass.) drained a three pointer with four and a half seconds remaining in regulation as the Wentworth Institute of Technology men's basketball picked up its third straight win with a 69-68 win over Mitchell (1-4) in non-conference action Tuesday night. Standing at 6-1, the Leopards are off to their best start in program history.
- Sophomore Jacob Tully's (Old Saybrook, Conn.) three pointer with 16:04 left snapped a 7-all tie and gave Mitchell its largest lead of the game at 10-7. Wentworth scored the next six points and took a 13-10 lead when senior Stephen Azums (Hyde Park, Mass.) converted a layup two minutes and 20 seconds later. An 8-2 run, capped off by a sophomore Dra Harrison (Statesboro, Ga.) three with 10:10 left, put the Mariners ahead, 18-15, but not before layups from junior Kyle Henseler (Coventry, R.I.) and Azums put the Leopards back on top, 19-18.
- The four consecutive points for the Black & Gold started a 12-1 run, which was capped off by a Henseler free throw, giving Wentworth a 27-19 lead with 5:23 left in the half. Using an 8-2 run late in the half, Mitchell cut the lead to 34-32 at the break.
- Wentworth scored the first four points of the second half as Henseler converted a three-point play and Azums hit a free throw to bring the lead to six (38-32). Junior Tyler Lennon (Atkinson, N.H.) made a layup with 16:39 left to bring the lead back to six before the Mariners chipped away and made it a one-point (47-46) game with 12:17 left to play. Freshman Jack Schaake (Hampton, N.H.) gave the Leopards a three-point lead 30 seconds later, however, Tully hit a three to tie the game at 49-all with 11:23 remaining.
- A jumper from Fernandez and a three pointer from freshman Conor Rubenskas (Bridgewater, Mass.) put Wentworth back on top, 54-49, and the Leopards saw their lead grow to seven on a pair of occasions, including when Azums scored four consecutive points in 70 seconds.
- Mitchell used an 8-0 run and took a 62-61 lead when Harrison hit one of two free throws with 2:34 remaining. On the ensuing possession, Fernandez hit two free throws with gave the Leopards a 63-62 advantage. Two free throws from junior Brendan Miller (Tampa, Fla.) and a layup off a steal by freshman Alfonzo Stokes (Bloomfield, Conn.) put the hosts ahead, 66-63, with 1:02 left, however, Azums converted a three-point play down the other end to even the score at 66-all.
- With 22.2 seconds left, Stokes put the hosts on top, 68-66, with a layup from the right side. Wentworth brought the ball into the front court and called time out with 18 seconds left. Out of the time out, the Leopards worked the ball around and Fernandez hit the go-ahead shot from the left side. The Mariners had one last shot, but the attempt fell short of the mark.
- Azums led all scorers with 21 points (on 9-of-11 shooting) and hauled down 11 rebounds for his sixth double-double in the first seven contests of the season. Fernandez came off the bench to score 11 points in the win.
- Three Mariners scored in double figures, led by Tully, who had 16 points.
- Wentworth shot 50.9 percent from the floor and had a 37-32 rebounding edge.
- Tonight was the first-ever meeting between the two programs.
For the latest on Wentworth Athletics, follow the Leopards via social media on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Fans can also download the Wentworth Leopards "Front Row" mobile app, powered by PrestoSports, on iTunes and the Android Market.