GROTON, Conn. – For the fifth straight season the Wentworth Institute of Technology golf team opened the season with a win as the Leopards won the three-team Mitchell Invitational, which was held at the par 71, 6,562-yard Shennecossett Golf Course. The Black & Gold shot 308 in picking up the win, besting Dean (333) and the host Mariners (346).
- This marked the fourth consecutive campaign Wentworth has kicked off the season at the Mitchell Invitational and each appearance has resulted in a win.
- Senior Sean L'Italien (Pembroke, Mass.) earned medalist honors, shooting a four-over 75 on the day, which included three birdies. L'Italien edged sophomore Nicholas Kurtz (Dover, N.H.), who finished tied for second with a 76. Kurtz had a consistent round, making par on 13 of 18 holes.
- Junior Sancho Rodriguez (San Rogue, Spain) drained a match-best four birdies and finished with eight pars to shoot a 77, which tied him four fourth.
- Sophomore Jared Turgeon (Dover, N.H.) rounded out Wentworth's top four scores with an 80, placing him sixth in the 15-player field.
- Senior Matthew Pleshaw (Franklin, Mass.) notched a top-10 finish, finishing with an 84.
- Wentworth plays Eastern Nazarene and Mitchell in a tri-match on Wednesday (September 18) at 12:30 pm.
For the latest on Wentworth Athletics, follow the Leopards via social media on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Fans can also download the Wentworth Leopards "Front Row" mobile app, powered by PrestoSports, on iTunes and the Android Market.