WARWICK, R.I. – Junior Sancho Rodriguez (San Rogue, Spain) finished in the top five to help the Wentworth Institute of Technology golf team place third at the Rhode Island College Homecoming Invitational. The event was held at the par 72 Valley Country Club in Warwick, R.I.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- As a team the Leopards shot 337, finishing behind Suffolk (328) and the host Anchormen (329), while Western Connecticut shot a 352.
- Rodriguez led the Leopards, shooting an 82 (+10) to place fifth in the 22-player field.
- Four Wentworth golfers were making their collegiate debuts in this event, led by sophomore Chris Galinos (Billerica, Mass.) who tied for sixth with an 84. Finishing one shot behind him and tying for ninth was freshman Albert Duart (Lleida, Spain). Junior Will Eddy (Kingston, Mass.) tied for 12th after shooting an 86 to round out Wentworth's top four scores.
- Freshman Ben Smith (Roswell, Ga.) also competed for the Black & Gold, carding an 88 in his first collegiate match.
- Wentworth plays a four-team event at South Shore Country Club in Hingham, Mass., on Thursday, October 10. The Leopards will square off against Emmanuel, Dean, and Mitchell.
For the latest on Wentworth Athletics, follow the Leopards via social media on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Fans can also download the Wentworth Leopards "Front Row" mobile app, powered by PrestoSports, on iTunes and the Android Market.