BREWSTER, Mass. – Senior Sean L'Italien (Pembroke, Mass.) carded a two-day total of 163 to tie for 42nd as the Wentworth Institute of Technology golf team closed out the fall portion of its schedule at the 85th Annual NEIGA Championships, held at the Captains Course. Sunday's opening round was played on the Port Course, while Monday's second round was on the Starboard Course. Both courses were par 72 courses.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- After sitting tied for 17th at the conclusion of Sunday's opening round, the Leopards improved on their score by eight strokes (333) to finish with a two-day total of 674. Wentworth finished tied with Rhode Island College and were just three strokes out of the top 15.
- L'Italien shot a 78 on Sunday and finished with an 85 Monday for a 163. His 42nd place finish was out of 114 golfers.
- Freshman Albert Duart (Lleida, Spain) finished tied for 73, shooting a 170 (85-85) in the tournament. Junior Sancho Rodriguez (San Roque, Spain) shaved 10 strokes off his opening round 91 to shoot 81 and finish tied for 82nd with a 172. Sophomore Nicholas Kurtz (Dover, N.H.) also moved up the leaderboard to finish tied with Rodriguez. Kurtz shot a 90-82.
- Senior Matthew Pleshaw (Franklin, Mass.) carded a 180 (88-92).
- Seventeenth-ranked Babson took home the team title, finishing with a 589. The Beavers were the lone team to break 300 on both days. Johnson & Wales (604), Nichols (620), Western New England (632), and Springfield (634) rounded out the top five. Babson's four counting scores took home places one through four with Nicholas Gianelos carding a plus-one 145 to earn medalist honors.
For the latest on Wentworth Athletics, follow the Leopards via social media on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Fans can also download the Wentworth Leopards "Front Row" mobile app, powered by PrestoSports, on iTunes and the Android Market.