EVERETT, Mass. – Senior Adam Tracey (Sleepy Hollow, N.Y.) recorded a hat trick and classmates Georgy Gorodetsky (Yekaterinburg, Russia) and Nate Chase (Plainfield, Ill.) had three assists each as the Wentworth Institute of Technology hockey team defeated Western New England Saturday afternoon in Commonwealth Coast Conference play play.
RECORDS: Wentworth 2-1-1 (1-0-1 CCC); Western New England 1-1-1 (0-1-1 CCC)
SHOTS: WIT, 34; WNE 40
PENALTIES/MINUTES: WIT, 11/38; WNE, 8/32
POWER PLAYS: WIT, 3-4; WNE 2-7
SAVES: WIT, Thomas Draper, 36; WNE, Kyle Carducci (23:45), 12; Colten Lancaster (36:07), 15
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Tracey put the hosts on the board with a power-play goal midway through the opening frame when he connected on a pass from Chase at 9:37. Just under four minutes later, Western New England tied the game when junior Anthony Frati (Churchville, N.Y.) scored from sophomore Conor Geshan (Oakton, Va.).
- The third time was a charm for freshman Andrew McDonough (Boston, Mass.) as he put home rebounds of saved shots from Gorodetsky and freshman Matt Ernster (Barrington, R.I.) for his first collegiate goal at 16:04. Just 66 seconds later, the Leopards saw their lead swell t 2-1 when senior Connor Busch (Lake in the Hills, Ill.) scored from juniors Jake Hallisey (Quincy, Mass.) and Brenden Lloyd (Merrick, N.Y.).
- Wentworth upped its lead to 5-1 when Tracey scored a pair of power-play goals in the second period. Chase and Gorodetsky set him up on both goals, first at 3:50, and, again, at 14:18. Frati closed the gap to 5-2 when he scored from junior Adam Giacomin (Richmond Hill, Ont.).
- Junior Dante Flori (Watertown, Mass.) put the Leopards on top with a goal at 4:29 of the third period. However, the Golden Bears climbed right back into it, scoring twice in a span of nine seconds. Senior Dom Blad (Springfield, Mass.) scored from Giacomin and freshman Tyler Pohlig (Broomall, Pa.) at 5:36 and senior Andrew Green (Plainview, N.Y.) scored from Giacomin at 5:45. Sophomore Jake McKenelley (Middleton, Mass.) put an end to Western New England's run when he scored from freshmen Alec Taillon (Terrebone, Que.) and Carter Stephenson (West British Columbia, B.C.) at 9:15.
- Sophomore Thomas Draper (Binghamton, N.Y.) made 36 saves for Wentworth. Freshman Colten Lancaster (Kelowna, B.C.) took the loss, making 15 saves in 36:07. Lancaster came on in relief of senior Kyle Carducci (Rocky Hill, Conn.), who made 12 saves.
- Western New England had a 40-34 shot advantage.
- Today marked the 38th all-time meeting between the two teams with Wentworth now leading 30-7-1. The Leopards are unbeaten (5-0-1) in the last six meetings.
- Commonwealth Coast Conference play continues next weekend as Wentworth heads to nationally ranked University of New England on Friday at 7:00 p.m.
For the latest on Wentworth Athletics, follow the Leopards via social media on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Fans can also download the Wentworth Leopards "Front Row" mobile app, powered by PrestoSports, on iTunes and the Android Market