HOOKSETT, N.H. – Trailing 2-1 early in the second period, the Wentworth Institute of Technology ice hockey team (3-5-1) rolled off six unanswered goals in a span of 22:53 to defeat the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth (2-6-0), 7-2, in the Manchester PAL/Stovepipe Tournament. Saturday afternoon. Senior Georgy Gorodetsky (Yekaterinburg, Russia) led the way for the Leopards, scoring two goals and assisting on three others while four other players also scored multiple points in the win.
SHOTS: WIT 33; UMD 20
PENALTIES/MINUTES: WIT 3/6; UMD 5/10
POWER PLAYS: WIT 1-4; UMD 0-2
GOALIE SAVES: WIT – Thomas Draper, 18; UMD – Chris Stangarone, 29
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Wentworth wasted little time getting on the board, scoring just 59 seconds into the contest as senior Nate Chase (Plainfield, Ill.) scored from senior Adam Tracey and Gorodetsky. UMass Dartmouth scored a pair of goals in a span of 5:39 to take a 2-1 lead. Freshman Austin Miller (Meridian, Idaho) tallied a shorthanded marker at 5:10 to even the score while sophomore Jimmy Pelton (Syracuse, N.Y.) gave the Corsairs a 2-1 lead at the 10:49 mark.
- At 7:57 of the second period, the Leopards began their scoring run. Junior Brenden Lloyd (Merrick, N.Y.) evened the score at 2-all off assists from freshman Rhett Rampinelli (Lakewood Ranch, Fla.) and sophomore Thomas Draper (Binghamton, N.Y.); both of which were first career points. At 11:47, Gorodetsky and Tracey set up senior Connor Busch (Lake in the Hills, Ill.) for what would stand up as the game-winning goal.
- Busch and freshman Jake McKenelley (Middleton, Mass.) set up freshman Sam Milnes (Middletown, R.I.) for his first collegiate goal, giving Wentworth a 4-2 lead. Chase and McKenelley set up Gorodetsky for a power-play goal at 15:59, which increased the lead to 5-2.
- Gorodetsky and recorded his second marker of the game at 7:15 of the third period, as he scored from junior Dante Flori (Watertown, Mass.) and Chase before Busch scored his second of the game, assisted by Gorodetsky and Tracey, at 10:50 to round out the scoring.
- In addition to Gorodetsky's five points (two goals, three assists), Busch netted a pair of goals, Chase had a goal and two assists, Tracey had three assists, and McKenelley added two assists.
- Draper made 18 saves in the win while sophomore Chris Stangarone (White Plains, N.Y.) made 26 stops in the loss. Wentworth had a 33-20 shot advantage.
- Wentworth embarked on its own version of the "10 Year Challenge" today, facing UMass Dartmouth for the first time since February 12, 2009. The 16th all-time meeting between the two programs, the Corsairs hold an 8-7-1 series edge, however, the Black & Gold have won the last two meetings.
- Wentworth will face off against Morrisville State on Sunday at 1:50 p.m. for the tournament championship. The Mustangs were a 4-1 winner over host Southern New Hampshire in the first game of the day.
For the latest on Wentworth Athletics, follow the Leopards via social media on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Fans can also download the Wentworth Leopards "Front Row" mobile app, powered by PrestoSports, on iTunes and the Android Market.