BOSTON, Mass. – Paced by three goals from sophomore Erik Treble (Massapequa Park, N.Y.) scored three times, including what stood as the game-winning goal, while freshman Augustin Edwin, Jr. (New Bedford, Mass.) had two goals and an assist as the Wentworth Institute of Technology men's soccer team used three goals in a span of 22 minutes to snap a 2-all tie and defeat Bridgewater State University, 5-2, in non-conference action Saturday afternoon.
SCORING: WIT – Augustin Edwin, Jr. (John Dauphin), 36:48; BSU – David Nelson (Justin Borges), 51:07; WIT – Erik Treble (Dauphin), 52:06; BSU – Noah Jacques (Shane Ebanks), 57:11; WIT – Treble (Augustin Edwin, Jr.); WIT – Edwin, Jr. (Kaleb Gebremeskel), 60:15; WIT – Treble (Juan Cedeno), 79:32.
SHOTS (ON GOAL): WIT 20 (11); BSU 7 (4)
CORNER KICKS: WIT 6, BSU 3SAVES: WIT -Robbie West, 6; BSU – Nate Morgado, 6; Michael Da Silva 0.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- While both teams had chances to score in the first half, it was Wentworth who took a 1-0 lead in the 37th minute. Edwin, Jr., who had just entered the game, scored off a junior John Dauphin (Yorba Linda, Calif.) corner kick.
- Bridgewater State freshman David Nelson (East Bridgewater, Mass.) scored the first goal of the second half to knot the game at 1-all and he took a feed from senior Justin Borges (Milford, Mass.) and shot it inside the left post.
- Dauphin served a corner kick to Treble to give the Black & Gold a 2-1 lead less than a minute after the Bears had tied it. However, Bridgewater State evened the score at 2-all when freshman Noah Jacques (Greenfield, Mass.) redirected a junior Shane Ebanks (Upton, Mass.) free kick into the back of the net.
- Treble broke the tie at 57:44 when Edwin, Jr. sent a long ball to him and he put a shot inside the right post. Less than three minutes later, Edwin, Jr., notched his second goal of the game when he collected a pass from sophomore Kaleb Gebremeskel (Georgetown, Texas) in the middle and found the back of the net.
- Junior Juan Cedeno (North Andover, Mass.) was credited with the helper on Treble's third goal, which came at 79:32 as he sent a cross in from the left side where Treble found the inside of the right post.
- Today was the first-ever meeting between the two programs.
- Wentworth (2-2-1) hosts MIT on Wednesday at 7:00 p.m.
For the latest on Wentworth Athletics, follow the Leopards via social media on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Fans can also download the Wentworth Leopards "Front Row" mobile app, powered by PrestoSports, on iTunes and the Android Market.