SPRINGFIELD, Mass. – Sophomore Larsen Keys (Norfolk, Mass.) netted the game's only goal in the 79th minute of action and senior Dylan Husted (South Deerfield, Mass.) picked up the shutout with two saves as the Western New England University men's soccer team defeated Wentworth, 1-0, in Commonwealth Coast Conference action Saturday afternoon.
SCORING: WNE – Larsen Keys (unassisted), 78:05
SHOTS (ON GOAL): WIT 8 (2); WNE, 13 (6)
CORNER KICKS: WIT 3; WNE, 1
SAVES: WIT – Robbie West, 5; WNE – Dylan Husted, 2
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Western New England had the game's first scoring opportunity in the eighth minute, however, sophomore Robbie West (Weymouth, Mass.) came up with the save. Just under three minutes later, freshman Augustin Edwin, Jr., (New Bedford, Mass.) put a header on target which was saved by Husted.
- In the 14th minute, Keys put a header off a free kick towards the net but West came up with his second save of the half to keep the game scoreless.
- The Golden Bears had a 5-2 shot advantage through the first 45 minutes of action.
- Junior Nathan Gosselin (Hudson, N.H.) put a shot on net in the 56th minute which was saved by Husted. Edwin, Jr. got the rebound but his second-chance attempt was blocked by a close defender
- Keys scored off his own rebound at 78:05 as his first attempt was saved by West. The rebound came out into a scrum where he gained possession and put a shot inside the near post
- Wentworth had a pair of chances in the 89th minute as sophomore Eddie Smith's (San Luis Obispo, Calif.) bid was blocked and sophomore Kaleb Gebremeskel put his bid just wide of the net.
- Western New England had a 13-8 shot advantage while the leopards had the edge in corner kicks, 3-1.
- Today was the 16th all-time meeting between the two schools with Western New England holding a 13-2-1 series advantage. Half of the games (eight) have been decided by a single goal.
- Wentworth (3-4-2, 1-1 CCC) is at WPI on Tuesday at 3:30 p.m. (note time change).
For the latest on Wentworth Athletics, follow the Leopards via social media on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Fans can also download the Wentworth Leopards "Front Row" mobile app, powered by PrestoSports, on iTunes and the Android Market.