WORCESTER, Mass. – Four different players scored goals and eight players recorded a point as the WPI men's soccer team (5-2-3) defeated Wentworth Institute of Technology, 4-0, in non-conference action Tuesday afternoon.
SCORING: WPI, Mark Calnan (Brandon Hima), 18:04; WPI, Francesco Valagussa (Jackson Conroy), 19:31; WPI Luke Lindholm (Franco Bazzini), 68:05; WPI - David Lapointe (Liam Setterlund), 83:34.
SHOTS (ON GOAL): WIT 3 (1); WPI, 28 (9)
CORNER KICKS: WIT 1; WPI, 13
SAVES: WIT – Robbie West, 5; WPI – Rufus Adams, 1
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Wentworth had the best scoring opportunity early in the match as sophomore Andrew Collari (Leicester, Mass.) sent a blast from just outside of the box to the upper left corner, however, WPI netminder Rufus Adams (Duxbury, Mass.) made a diving stop just 2:31 in to keep the contest scoreless.
- The hosts broke the ice in the 20th minute when Mark Calnan (Worcester, Mass.) took a feed from Brendon Hilma (Oakville, Conn.) and broke free along the left side. Just 1:27 later, WPI went ahead 2-0 after Francesco Valagussa (Arlington, Mass.) put home a shot from 20 yards out past a diving sophomore Robbie West (Weymouth, Mass.). Jackson Conroy (Reading, MA) picked up the assist on the marker.
- In the 69th minute, the Engineers took a 3-0 lead after Luke Lindholm (Sterling, Mass.) headed in a corner kick from Franco Bazzini (San Juan, P.R.) while Liam Setterlund (Holden, Mass.) set up David Lapointe (Waterbury, Vt) for the game's fourth goal at 83:34.
- WPI had advantages in shots (28-3) and corner kicks (13-1).
- West made five saves for Wentworth while Adams made one save.
- Today marked the 17th all-time meeting between the two programs with WPI now holding a 9-7-1 series advantage, including a 7-0-1 mark at home. Today's game was the first in the last five meetings that did not go into overtime.
- Wentworth (3-5-2) hosts Lesley on Thursday (October 3) at 7:00 p.m.
For the latest on Wentworth Athletics, follow the Leopards via social media on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Fans can also download the Wentworth Leopards "Front Row" mobile app, powered by PrestoSports, on iTunes and the Android Market.