NEW HAVEN, Conn. – Junior Harrison Maki's (Rutland, Mass.) three-set win at No. 5 singles clinched the match for the Wentworth Institute of Technology men's team as the Leopards closed out the fall portion of their schedule with a 6-3 win over Albertus Magnus.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Wentworth picked up the first two points of the contest, as, at No. 3 doubles, junior Sam Ferro (Whitman, Mass.) and junior Taymour Mansi (Alexandria, Egypt) were 8-0 winners over junior Eric Brown (New Haven, Conn.) and senior Zach Monti (Beacon Falls, Conn.). No. 2 saw Maki and sophomore Kevin Salomon (West Newton, Mass.) pick up an 8-3 win over sophomore Alessandro Proscino (Hamden, Conn.) and senior Nick Tagliaferri (Hamden, Conn.). Albertus Magnus cut the lead to 2-1 after doubles when sophomore Zach Levine (Hamden, Conn.) and sophomore Alex Hale (Wolcott, Conn.) were 8-5 winners over junior Tyler Hall (Framingham, Mass.) and senior Mun Chet (Braintree, Mass.) at No. 1.
- Freshman Owen Conlon (Cataumet, Mass.) opened singles play with a 6-1, 6-0 win over freshman Rockenson Charles (New London, Conn.) at No. 6, however, Tagliaferri made it 3-2 when he defeated junior Tristan Maus (Mansfield, Mass.), 6-3, 6-0, at No. 4.
- The Leopards picked up the next two points to earn the win. At No. 3, Chet defeated Proscino, 6-2, 6-2, which set up Maki's win at No. 5. Maki dropped the first set, 4-6, but rebounded to win the second set, 6-2. In the deciding set, Maki was a 7-6 (7-1) winner.
- North defeated Hale, 6-3, 6-2, at No. 2, to make it 6-2 before Levine was a 6-3, 6-2 winner over Hall at No.1.
- Wentworth concludes the fall portion of its schedule with a 2-1 record. The Leopards will resume play in Orlando, Fla., the week of March 9.
For the latest on Wentworth Athletics, follow the Leopards via social media on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Fans can also download the Wentworth Leopards "Front Row" mobile app, powered by PrestoSports, on iTunes and the Android Market.