Brooklyn, N.Y. – The Wentworth women's basketball team rolled to 2-0 on the season with a 68-55 non-conference victory over Pratt Institute on Saturday afternoon.
- Wentworth (2-0)
- Pratt (1-2)
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Points Leaders: Erin Morton (12), Lyric Campbell (12)
- Rebounds Leader: Kayla Kelley (6)
- Assists Leader: Lyric Campbell (7)
- Steals Leader: Lyric Campbell (3)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Leopards erased an opening four-point deficit with a 7-4 run, using four points from freshman Winnie Kenou (Mattapan, Mass.) to steal the lead, 12-8. From that point on, the Leopards never surrendered the lead, despite the Cannoniers pulling within a single point, 12-11, with 2:22 to go in the first quarter. Freshman Lyric Campbell (Madisonville, Ky.) ignited a 9-2 spurt with a shot from downtown to end the first quarter at 21-13 in favor of the Black & Gold.
- Freshman Kayla Kelley (Boston, Mass.) sparked the second quarter with a three-point bucket, factoring into the Leopards' 50% shooting as a team from behind the arc in the stanza. Campbell sunk 2-of-2 from long range and booked nine total in the second quarter, giving Wentworth a 34-22 lead with 4:35 left to go in the half.
- Junior Erin Morton (Norway, Maine) and freshman Isabella Perez (Homestead, Fla.) each split five points apiece in the third quarter, as Perez sunk a layup for give WIT a 20-point cushion, 59-39, with one-minute left before the final quarter. With 36 seconds on the clock, freshman Kenou made drained a shot from the line to give WIT its largest lead of the game, 60-39.
- This was the first known meeting between the two teams.
- The Leopards made 10 three-pointers in today's contest, matching their season-opening stat, which ranks second all-time.
- Wentworth gets a 2-0 start to the season for the first time since the 10-11 season.
- Three of five starters, and four players overall, booked double-digit points.
- The Leopards finish out their New York trip tomorrow afternoon with a 2:00 p.m. tip-off at Medgar Evers.
For the latest on Wentworth Athletics, follow the Leopards via social media on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Fans can also download the Wentworth Leopards "Front Row" mobile app, powered by PrestoSports, on iTunes and the Android Market.