NEW LONDON, Conn. – The Wentworth women's soccer team fell to Coast Guard Academy 5-2 in a high-scoring non-conference contest on Wednesday afternoon.
The Leopards drop to 4-6-1 overall while the Bears move to 4-6 this season with its second straight victory.
- Lydia VanWinkle (Claire Hurley) – CGA 11'
- Claire Hurley (Kylee Ballard) – CGA 33'
- Anna Carleton – CGA 47'
- Abigail Meyers (Macy Paquin) – WIT 60'
- Jess Poratti – WIT 65'
- Claire Hurley – CGA 76'
- Claire Hurley – CGA 79'
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Bears outshot the Leopards 13-4 after the first 45 minutes, and had a 2-0 score to show for it at the halftime break. Two minutes into the second half, CGA extended its lead to 3-0 with an unassisted goal from Anna Carleton.
- The Leopards found their offensive rhythm shortly after, as junior Abigail Meyers (Leicester, Mass.) put Wentworth on the board with her first goal of the season, finishing a feed from freshman Macy Paquin (Somerset, Mass.). Senior Jess Poratti (Essex Junction, Vt.) then pulled Wentworth within a single goal, 3-2, with an unassisted strike.
- Bears' leading scorer Claire Hurley, who finished with seven points in the win, squandered any chance of a Wentworth comeback netting two finals goals within a three-minute window to secure the 5-2 win.
- Junior Allison Haynes (Shelton, Mass.) made five saves in net, including three in the first half, and drops to 4-6-1.
- Sarah Schollenberger earned the win in net for CGA with five saves as well.
- Paquin recorded her second assist in her past three matches played.
- Poratti's goal was her fifth of the season.
- This was the first meeting between the two teams.
- The Leopards head to Amherst, Mass. for a non-conference affair with top the top NESCAC contender Mammoths for a 2:00 p.m. start.
For the latest on Wentworth Athletics, follow the Leopards via social media on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Fans can also download the Wentworth Leopards "Front Row" mobile app, powered by PrestoSports, on iTunes and the Android Market.