AMHERST, Mass. – Top NESCAC contender Amherst College blanked the Wentworth women's soccer team 5-0 on Sunday afternoon in non-conference action.
The Mammoths jump to 6-2-1 overall while the loss drops the Leopards to 4-7-1.
- Hannah Gustafson – Amherst 5'
- Alexa Juarez – Amherst 43'
- Ruby Hastie (Sophia Fikke) – Amherst 49'
- Sasha Savitsky (Hannah Gustafson) – Amherst 59'
- Erin McClave – Amherst 69'
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Mammoths broke open the scoring in just the fifth minute as Hannah Gustafson netted her first collegiate goal and ultimately the game-winner from about 25 yards out.
- One of the four first-half Leopard chances came 12 minutes after Gustafson's tally when sophomore Allie Gallion (Newmarket, N.H.) lofted a shot from over 30 yards out which struck the crossbar and flew back into play.
- In the 37th minute, junior Molly Donahue (Quincy, Mass.) took a promising bid on net for the Black & Gold, but Amherst keeper Antonio Tammaro calmly scooped it up to maintain the single goal advantage. Amherst extended the lead to 2-0 with just under two minutes to go until the halftime break.
- The Mammoths held Wentworth to just three shots in the second half, all on target and stopped by Tammaro, while adding three goals to their name for the 5-0 final.
- Junior Allison Haynes (Shelton, Mass.) made nine saves in net for Wentworth.
- Tommaro earned her first win of the season in 62 minutes played with three saves, while Erica Sanders made one save in 27 minutes of relief.
- Amherst holds a 3-0 record in the all-time series with Wentworth.
- The Leopards will step out of conference for the last time this season on Thursday, October 10th with a 3:30 p.m. tilt at Bridgewater State.
For the latest on Wentworth Athletics, follow the Leopards via social media on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Fans can also download the Wentworth Leopards "Front Row" mobile app, powered by PrestoSports, on iTunes and the Android Market.