WEST HARTFORD, Conn. – With the match tied at 4-all, junior Olivia DeLuca (Dunstable, Mass.) picked up a straight-set victory at No. 2 singles to give the Wentworth Institute of Technology women's tennis team a 5-4 win over St. Joseph's (Conn.) on Tuesday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Blue Jays took a 1-0 lead after No. 3 doubles when senior Dominique Carnot (Meriden, Conn.) and freshman Emily Kerr (Portland, Conn.) defeated juniors CiCi Deakin (Standish, Maine) and Hannah Erickson (Columbia, Conn.), 8-1. The Leopards evened the match at 1-all when junior Ali Sollecito (Taunton, Mass.) and freshman Morgan Collins (Warwick, R.I.) teamed up to defeat sophomore Jessica McAllister (Bristol, Conn.) and freshman Elaina Griffiths (Guilford, Conn.), 8-2.
- The match of the day came at No. 2 doubles where DeLuca and senior Sam McGibbon (Pembroke, Mass.) stormed back from a 7-3 deficit to force a tiebreaker, winning 8-7 (10-8) to give the Black & Gold a 2-1 lead.
- Kerr defeated Erickson at No. 5 singles, 6-0, 6-2 to even the match before Sollecito used a 6-1, 6-1 win over McAllister at No. 1 to give Wentworth a 3-2 lead. The hosts tied the match when Carnot defeated McGibbon, 6-3, 6-3, at No. 3.
- Collins put Wentworth ahead, 4-3, when she bested sophomore Carolyn Callahan (Southington, Conn.), 6-4, 6-1, at No. 4.
- The seesaw battle continued as freshman Elke Moser Melis (Nijmegen, Netherlands) picked up a 6-4, 6-2 win over Deakin at No. 6, setting the stage for the match to be decided at No. 2. DeLuca took the opening set, 6-3, and fended off Griffiths, 7-5, in the second set to pick up her second win of the day and clinch the match for Wentworth.
For the latest on Wentworth Athletics, follow the Leopards via social media on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Fans can also download the Wentworth Leopards "Front Row" mobile app, powered by PrestoSports, on iTunes and the Android Market.