WESTON, Mass. – The Wentworth Institute of Technology women's tennis team opened Commonwealth Coast Conference play on Saturday with a 5-1 loss to Western New England in a match played at Regis College.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Golden Bears won two of three doubles matches as junior Kyra Palumbo (Albany, N.Y.) and sophomore Janet Martinelli (Vernon, Conn.) picked up an 8-2 win over juniors CiCi Deakin (Standish, Maine) and Hannah Erickson (Columbia, Conn.) at No. 3 and junior Maylene LaPress (Bedford, N.H.) and senior Morgan Schrader (Burnt Hills, N.Y.) defeated junior Ali Sollecito (Taunton, Mass.) and freshman Morgan Collins (Warwick, R.I.), 8-3, at No. 1.
- For the second straight match, senior Sam McGibbon (Pembroke, Mass.) and junior Olivia DeLuca (Dunstable, Mass.) battled in a tightly contested match at No. 2 and walked away with a victory, this time defeating senior Rachel Bauer (Palmer, Mass.) and junior Jessica Cote (Gorton, Conn.), 8-7 (10-8)
- During singles play, the match was halted when inclement weather came through the area. After a lengthy delay to wait for the weather to clear out and for the courts to dry, Western New England picked up the three points it needed to clinch the match.
- At No. 2, Schrader defeated DeLuca, 6-0, 6-0 and Martinelli defeated Erickson, 6-1, 6-0, at No. 5. Junior Sydney Lewis clinched the match with a 6-1, 6-0 win over Deakin at No. 6.
- In the three unfinished matches, Sollecito held a 6-2, 5-3 lead over LaPress at No. 1, McGibbon had taken the first set, 6-1, and trailed 5-2 in the second against Cote at No. 3, and Collins led, 6-1, 4-2 over Bauer at No. 4.
For the latest on Wentworth Athletics, follow the Leopards via social media on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Fans can also download the Wentworth Leopards "Front Row" mobile app, powered by PrestoSports, on iTunes and the Android Market.