NEWPORT, R.I. – Senior Claire Quick (Mission Viejo, Calif.) became the fourth Wentworth women's volleyball player to eclipse the 1,000-point milestone in a 3-0 conference victory (25-21, 25-12, 25-14) at Salve Regina Wednesday evening.
The Leopards, who earned their fifth straight win in straight sets, jump to 11-4 overall and 2-1 in Commonwealth Coast Conference action. The Seahawks suffer their first league loss and drop to 6-10 overall and 2-1 against conference opponents.
- Kills – Leah Rogoz (13), Claire Quick (10)
- Digs – Leah Rogoz (15), Lexie Cambray (14), Mary Zlotosch (13)
- Assists – Jordan Chapman (37)
- Blocks – Riley Waggoner (2BA, 1BS)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After a tight set to open the conference match, Wentworth raced to a 12-3 lead in the second frame, six of which came from Seahawk attack errors. Despite a Salve timeout, Wentworth kept its foot on the gas and used swings from Leah Rogoz (Woodridge, Ill.), Riley Waggoner (Simi Valley, Calif.) and Quick to build a booming 20-9 advantage. Wentworth scored the final five of six points to seal the 2-0 match lead led by two points apiece from Quick and Rogoz, while hitting a match-high .324 as a team.
- Both teams traded points to open the final set before back-to-back kills from Rogoz ignited a 10-4 offensive spurt for a 15-9 lead. Quick and Rogoz traded kills before consecutive errors forced a Salve timeout, but the break proved inconsequential as Wentworth ran away on a final 10-5 run.
- Rogoz booked the 10th double-double of her senior campaign.
- Chapman's 37 assists rewrite her previous school record of assists in a three-set match.
- Waggoner hit a match-high .444 and set a new career-best with nine kills. She has recorded at least one block in her past 12 matches and ranks fourth among conference stat leaders with 0.79 blocks per set.
- Zlotosch set a new career-high on defense with 13 digs.
- Wentworth has won its last three matches against the Seahawks, its most recent coming in the 2018 semifinals of the CCC tournament.
- Wentworth returns home to Tansey gymnasium on Saturday for a non-conference tri-match with Salem State and Northern Vermont-Johnson.
For the latest on Wentworth Athletics, follow the Leopards via social media on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Fans can also download the Wentworth Leopards "Front Row" mobile app, powered by PrestoSports, on iTunes and the Android Market.