BOSTON, Mass. – Junior John Dauphin (Yorba Linda, Calif.) had a goal and an assist as a part of three unanswered goals as the Wentworth Institute of Technology men's soccer team opened Commonwealth Coast Conference play with a 3-2 win over Gordon Saturday afternoon on Sweeney Field.
SCORING: GC – Luckson Dambo (Max Farner), 4:31; WIT – Eddie Smith (John Dauphin), 35:27; WIT – Griffin Price (Cameron Pacheco, Augustin Edwin, Jr.), 57:37; WIT – Dauphin (Alex Moore), 64:12; GC – Noah Craig (Micah Craig), 66:13.
SHOTS (ON GOAL): WIT 14 (6); GC, 7 (6).
CORNER KICKS: WIT 7; GC, 2
SAVES: WIT – Robbie West, 4; GC – Wesley Sprague, 3
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Gordon struck early in the contest as freshman Max Farner (Pittsburgh, Pa.) sent a pass across the box to sophomore Luckson Dembo (Belmont, Mass.), who put a shot inside the right post at 4:31.
- Wentworth maintained the majority of possession and had a chance in the 25th minute when Fighting Scot junior Wesley Sprague (Naperville, Ill.) made a diving stop on a freshman Augustin Edwin, Jr. (New Bedford, Mass.) bid.
- The Leopards finally broke through at the 35:27 mark when sophomore Eddie Smith (San Luis Obispo, Calif.) headed in a corner kick service from Dauphin to even the score at 1-all.
- At 57:37, the Leopards took the lead when Edwin, Jr., sent a pass from the right to senior Cameron Pacheco (Woburn, Mass.), who delivered a one-touch pass to senior Griffin Price (Allendale, N.J.) who put a shot home to the right side.
- Dauphin increased the lead to 3-1 when sophomore Alex Moore (Salem, Conn.) sent a free kick in his direction and Dauphin blasted a 30-yard shot to the upper right corner of the net.
- Gordon closed the gap to 3-2 just 2:21 laster when senior Noah Craig (Corvallis, Ore.) sent a pass back to sophomore Micah Craig (Corvallis, Ore.), who connected on a shot from 20 yards out.
- Dambo had a bid to tie the game in the 89th minute, however, sophomore Robbie West (Weymouth, Mass.) came up with his third save of the half to preserve the win.
- West finished with four saves while Sprague had three saves.
- Wentworth had advantages in shots (13-7) and corner kicks (7-2).
- Today marked the 31st all-time meeting between these two programs. With the win, Wentworth snaps a two-game Gordon series win streak. Three of the last four games – all played on Sweeney Field – have been decided by one goal.
- Wentworth (3-2-2, 1-0 CCC)) heads across the street to face Emmanuel on Tuesday (September 24) at 7:00 p.m.
For the latest on Wentworth Athletics, follow the Leopards via social media on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Fans can also download the Wentworth Leopards "Front Row" mobile app, powered by PrestoSports, on iTunes and the Android Market.