BOSTON, Mass. – WPI added a trio of goals over a six-minute span in the second half and posted a 5-0 victory over Wentworth Institute of Technology in non-conference women's soccer action Tuesday evening.
Wentworth drops below .500 to 3-4 while WPI soars to 6-1 overall.
- Kristen McCrea – WPI (21')
- Leah Beauton (Sofia Orrico) – WPI (50')
- Kristen McCrea – WPI (62')
- Kristen McCrea – WPI (64')
- Sofia Orrico (Kristen McCrea (66')
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Both teams were evenly matched throughout the first 45 minutes, with WPI owning a slight 6-3 advantage in shots on target.
- WPI tested Wentworth junior keeper Allison Haynes (Shelton, Conn.) from the opening whistle, who made five saves in the first ten minutes. Senior Kristen McCrea (Weymouth, Mass.) broke open the scoring in the 21st minute, and took on two Black and Gold defenders in the 18-yard-box before lofting in her eighth goal of the season.
- In the 28th minute, Wentworth had its first solid bid on net, as Emilee Auclair (Monson, Mass.) took a shot from just outside the box, but WPI senior keeper Mandy St. Germain (Upton, Mass.) kept the Leopards at bay.
- WPI upped the ante in the second half and rattled off four straight goals, three of which came over a four-minute span. St. Germain made four second-half saves to preserve the shutout.
- Haynes collected six saves in the effort and drops to 3-4.
- St. Germain made seven saves and secured her fourth clean sheet of the season.
- Wentworth is 2-14-4 in the all-time series against WPI.
For the latest on Wentworth Athletics, follow the Leopards via social media on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Fans can also download the Wentworth Leopards "Front Row" mobile app, powered by PrestoSports, on iTunes and the Android Market.