BOSTON, Mass. – The Wentworth women's soccer team dropped an absolute heartbreaker to Roger Williams University on an own goal in Commonwealth Coast Conference action, 2-1, on Saturday afternoon at Sweeney Field.
- Molly Donahue (Macy Paquin) – Wentworth 6'
- Morgan Snow (Bianca Robbins) – Roger Williams 79'
- Team – Roger Williams 108'
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Wentworth stunned Roger Williams just six minutes into the game as junior Molly Donahue (Quincy, Mass.) broke open the scoring with a right-footed strike from 25 yards out. Freshman Macy Paquin (Somerset, Mass.) dished the ball over to Donahue, who sent the ball soaring over starting keeper Morgan Strassburg for the 1-0 lead. Junior keeper Allison Haynes (Shelton, Conn.) made four first-half saves to keep the Hawks at bay, as Wentworth carried the one-goal lead into halftime.
- Roger Williams made a keeper change to start the second half, as Morgan McCutcheon established her presence early with a point-black save on a strike from Jess Poratti (Essex Junction, Vt.). In the 79th minute, Bianca Robbins redirected the ball outside of traffic past the six-yard-box, setting up Morgan Snow for a far-post goal that deadlocked the match 1-1. Snow would take two more attempts on net for the Hawks, but Haynes denied both shots, including a fast and bending corner kick in the 84th minute.
- McCutcheon came up big for the Hawks in the 99th minute, stopping another long-shot from Donahue that dinged the crossbar after a sprawling save. Roger Williams finally put the game away in the 108th minute, as a mis-clear from the Wentworth defense struck the Leopards with the 2-1 defeat.
- McCutcheon made six saves in second-half relief and earned her third win for the Hawks. Strassburg made two saves in first-half action.
- Haynes made eight saves in the effort.
- Donahue's goal is her second of the season and seventh of her career.
- Roger Williams holds an 18-6-2 record against Wentworth in the all-time series.
- The Leopards resume conference action on Tuesday at Nichols for a 3:00 p.m. kickoff.
For the latest on Wentworth Athletics, follow the Leopards via social media on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Fans can also download the Wentworth Leopards "Front Row" mobile app, powered by PrestoSports, on iTunes and the Android Market.