BOSTON, Mass. – The Wentworth Institute of Technology men's soccer team celebrated senior day by scoring a goal in each half in a 2-0 win over Curry. The win was the third in a row by the Leopards, all of which have been via shutout.
SCORING: WIT – Eddie Smith (John Dauphin), 33:00; WIT – Own Goal, 50:55
SHOTS (ON GOAL): WIT 24 (15); CC, 12 (6)
CORNER KICKS: WIT 9; CC, 5
SAVES: WIT – Robbie West, 6; CC – Jan Bacerra, 13
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- In the fourth minute of play, Wentworth had a quality scoring chance when senior Griffin Price (Allendale, N.J.) sent a shot towards the Curry net. Colonel freshman Jan Bacerra (Chappaqua, N.Y.) made a diving stop going towards the far post to keep the hosts off the board. Seven and a half minutes later, senior Drew DeCoste (Somerset, Mass.) just missed a shot from in front as Bacerra came up with the save.
- With 12 minutes left in the opening half, the Leopards finally broke through. Junior John Dauphin (Yorba Linda, Calif.) served a corner kick from the right corner towards the box. Sophomore Eddie Smith (San Luis Obispo, Calif.) flicked a header inside the left post.
- Wentworth had an 11-9 shot advantage in the first half, with five of those 11 shots going on net.
- The hosts took a 2-0 lead in the 51st minute of action as a miscommunication on a pass back to the keeper went in the back of the net.
- Wentworth continued to mount pressure, as evident by a 13-3 shot advantage in the second half, however, was unable to push another one past Bacerra.
- West made six saves in the win, while recording his fourth shutout of the season; Bacerra stopped 13 shots in the loss.
- The Black & Gold had a 24-12 shot advantage and a 9-5 edge on corner kicks.
- Today marked the 33rd meeting between the two schools with Wentworth winning its fourth in a row in the series and running the series unbeaten streak to eight (7-0-1). The Leopards now lead the series 22-9-2.
- Prior to the game, the three members of the Leopards' senior class – Cameron Pacheco (Woburn, Mass.), Price, and DeCoste – were recognized as a part of Senior Day festivities.
- West and the Leopards have not allowed a goal in the last 273:19.
For the latest on Wentworth Athletics, follow the Leopards via social media on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Fans can also download the Wentworth Leopards "Front Row" mobile app, powered by PrestoSports, on iTunes and the Android Market.